Bristol City 1-1 Derby- Match Report

Frank Fielding keeps former club Derby at bay as Bristol City grab late draw

Substitute Aaron Wilbraham shot an injury time equaliser to earn Bristol City a point against Derby at Ashton Gate.

The veteran striker was left with a simple tap-in from Bobby Reid's low cross after good work from Tammy Abraham inside the box to make it 1-1.

Derby had led since the 44th minute when Aden Flint's weak back-header allowed Ikechi Anya to lift the ball over stranded goalkeeper Frank Fielding.

It was Fielding, recalled to City's team against his old club, who denied Derby victory with a string of brilliant second half saves.

It was a below-par display from the hosts and Derby had several good chances to extend their lead, Fielding making fine saves from James Wilson, Matej Vydra and substitute Darren Bent.

Lee Johnson made four changes to the City team beaten 3-2 at Sheffield Wednesday in midweek and altered the formation to three at the back.

His side looked badly out of sorts in a drab first half that saw Derby create the better chances

Vydra fired narrowly high and wide on 11 minutes.

The best opportunity fell to Will Hughes on 25 minutes as he attacked an Anya cross from the left and directed his header just the wrong side of a post.

Wilson volleyed wide from a narrow angle, while all City could muster in the first half was a mis-hit shot from Abraham, who also fired over from a Lee Tomlin pass on the stroke of the interval.

Flint's mistake compounded a poor display by the hosts and Derby left the pitch at half-time to a rousing ovation from their travelling fans.

Johnson responded with a change at half time, taking off defender Joel Ekstrand and sending on Luke Freeman to attack down the left

Having already lost wing-back Joe Bryan to injury, City switched to a back four and quickly looked more comfortable.

Reid fired over when a Freeman corner was cleared to the edge of the box before Derby had a great chance to increase their lead.

Another defensive mix-up allowed Wilson to break away, but his low 54th minute shot was smothered by Fielding.

At the other end Freeman was just wide from 18 yards

Then Derby went close again, Vydra directing a first time shot just past the near post from a Jacob Butterfield free kick.

Nigel Pearson made a double change on the hour sending on Andreas Weimann and Darren Bent for the Wilson and the injured Anya.

As time began to run out for City, Johnson sent on another striker in Wilbraham for holding midfielder Marlon Pack.

Wilbraham might have equalised 10 minutes from time when he headed tamely wide from a Jamie Paterson corner.

When Lee Tomlin's late volley rocked the Derby crossbar it seemed the visitors would take all three points

But they reckoned without a spirited City finish and 36-year-old Wilbraham's late saver.

Source : PA

Source: PA