Bristol City 2-2 Sheff Wed- Match Report

Tammy Abraham ends dismal Bristol City run as they draw with Sheffield Wednesday

Tammy Abraham ended Bristol City's run of eight successive Championship defeats with a 70th minute equaliser in the 2-2 draw against promotion-chasing Sheffield Wednesday at Ashton Gate.

The on-loan Chelsea striker netted his 19th goal of the campaign, deflecting a Joe Bryan shot from outside the box to wrong-foot Wednesday goalkeeper Keiren Westwood and ease the pressure on boss Lee Johnson.

The visitors had taken a 17th minute lead when Adam Reach ran unchallenged onto a Barry Bannan ball over the top and crossed for Fernando Forestieri to bundle the ball over the line from close range.

It was a poor goal for City to concede and they looked shaky until a moment of magic from Lee Tomlin drew them level on 31 minutes.

The little midfielder beat one defender inside the box before being brought down by Tom Lees

Tomlin got up to rifle home the penalty.

Ross Wallace put Wednesday back in front on 51 minutes, running onto another Bannan pass to produce a clinical finish from the edge of the box.

But the home side battled back again through Abraham and in the end were well worth a share of the spoils.

City started brightly and Josh Brownhill struck a post in the ninth minute, only to see a linesman flagging for offside against Abraham.

But after Forestieri's goal, Wednesday enjoyed a period of dominance, looking particularly dangerous down the flanks.

Aden Flint survived a confident appeal for handball inside the box on 21 minutes as City began to look jittery.

Johnson reacted by moving midfielders Callum O'Dowda and Bryan to wide positions to protect their full-backs and Tomlin's spot-kick provided a timely lift.

Seconds later Abraham was brought down by Glenn Loovens, who earned the first yellow card

By half-time team-mates Lees and Bannan had also been booked as Tomlin's trickery became a feature of the match.

The second half began with Abraham shooting over after turning his marker on the edge of the box.

And moments after Wallace's goal City almost equalised as Jens Hegeler rounded Westwood, only to see his close range shot blocked on the line by Morgan Fox.

The closing stages were tense for both teams as a 17,000 home crowd did their best to inspire their struggling side to a winner, although Wednesday were unruffled and looked the most threatening.

But when Lees headed over for Wednesday in stoppage time both sides had to settle for a point.

Source : PA

Source: PA